Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Day is Beautiful


Now I know why Audrey Hepburn loved Italy.
It is everything you see in the movies and more.


From old Italian men smoking a cigarette on their front balcony, to tight groups of people animatedly speaking to one another, to little side streets decorated with flowers and the country's flags, the city of Turin is flooded with rich history and thought.
     views of the plaza from our balcony in Hotel Roma




                                         

Americans are all about efficiency; whether it's eating dinner in 5 minutes so we can move on with our days or grabbing a coffee to-go as we run to get to work on time. We can boast that we have our lives coordinated and planned down to the second.  But what I've noticed from only one day here, is that the Italians have no desire to be so efficient. Everything is traditional and old fashion. They gladly give up time tables and strict schedules so they can leisurely sit and enjoy an espresso while reading the paper. They put on their best clothes just to take a stroll eating a gelato.




As I struggled to make myself a double shot espresso to wake up this morning (jet lag's a killer), a local woman stopped making her tea and took the time to teach me how to use the entire machine. Using very little words, she demonstrated how to make any coffee drink I desired from a Cappuccino to a double shot Americano (which, I found, is the cure for the grogginess).   

I ran into an Italian man at the train station who stopped me and starting speaking in his fluent tongue. When I showed a bewildered face and said, "No speak Italian. English.", he tried his hand at translating to me. He said: "You smile is uhh.. happy! Too many people are frowning much. The day is bella! The day is....beautiful!"

Indeed it is!


flying over the Alps

My plane ride's complementary beer and Swiss chocolate welcoming me into Frankfurt, Germany.

3 comments:

  1. Em...I just now figured out how to join this blog and I wrote you a very lonnnnggg blog and then this crappy piece of...computer shutdown on me! I couldnt believe my eyes! Twice!!!!! So i am going to learn a bunch of swear words in italian so i can yell them out loud!!:o I cant remember what i did 5 min ago so i cant remember what i wrote but key points were...*Your writing about italy was full of feeling and emotion and beautifully written my dear! Love that:) I can almost visualize all you are seeing when you write on this blog! *You made the deans list for all those summer classes you managed to take. *Are there good locks on the apt bldg and appt doors? Are you on the first floor of the bldg? No wait dont even tell me that, since theres nothing i can do about it if it is! *Does the air smell of baking bread, oregano, basil and pizza? Is that you on the balony? *Enjoy every moment...if i wasnt your mother i would tell you the heck with classwork and live la bella vita! But of course cant, so i will understand if you just want to strive for passing lol! I will try and send this for the third time and hope it sends. I love you mi bambino:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so glad that im the second comment--right after my twin (your mother). it sounds like you're seeing what non-american life is like already...im glad you are :) as i learned this summer, people>projects. aka if you dont get a task done but you spent time getting to know a person better, it was worth it. as jealous as i am, i know i need to rejoice in your happiness for you. therefore, im going to throw aside my envy that you get to spend 3 months living in a different culture, 3 months without the grove city blues, and 3 months with people other than myself and keep praying that you'll have a safe and fun time over there. im glad its been everything you've hoped for so far. love you! -"you can have that, cara"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mom,
    I'm pretty sure all your wishes have been granted about this trip. I'm in the VERY TOP floor of my apartment--54 steps carrying a 50 pound suitcase.
    But yes, it is safer....or so i thought until about 1 hour ago when the girl next door to me ran down the apartment because it just got robbed.
    Just about everything valuable is gone. I am sad for her but glad she can cancel her cards. Our room did not get broken into, although when I heard the news, I panicked and ran with one of my guy friends up to my room to check and thankfully it was not. wow. the policia are here now speaking in their fluent tongue. so crazy.
    But robbings and pickpockets by gypsies are the worst around here. Back home, you'd worry to get stabbed or shot when people break in--both those weapons are illegal and not sold here.
    Also mom, one of my classmates who goes out with our group all the time is a cub scout, good with directions, doesn't really drink, SUPER responsible, never took his eye off all 3 of us girls at the clubs and stepped inbetween guys trying to dance with us--everything you've ever prayed for me to ever have on a trip abroad.

    To my mother's twin:
    i am taking this advice and dropping to an italian course that requires many less hours. I will immerse myself in the culture and work with italian tutors to learn though. I think allowing myself extra travel time is okay--although the nerdy guilty side of me keeps telling me to take 18 credits. Can't wait to skype "you can have that" Cara!

    Love schmem

    ReplyDelete